PUBLISHED 2020. Please visit the publication webpage HERE.
The site of Naga ed-Deir in Egypt was excavated over a period of years in the early twentieth century under the direction of George Reisner. Located on the east bank of the Nile, approximately 156 kilometers north of Luxor, Naga ed-Deir is unusual for its continued use over an exceedingly long period of time. The necropolis is comprised of thousands of burials dating from the Predynastic through the Coptic eras (c. 3500 BCE–650 CE). This project will publish two cemeteries (N2000 and N2500) that were excavated from 1903 to 1905, when Mrs. Phoebe A. Hearst sponsored the excavation work headed by Reisner and directed on site by Arthur C. Mace.
The project team brings together researchers from a variety of institutions and will unite excavated material now in the collections of the Phoebe A. Hearst Museum of Anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley and the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston. The team is led by Dr. Vanessa Davies, a visiting scholar at the Hearst Museum, who will coordinate the scholars’ research trips, research the original early twentieth-century documentation of the site, oversee the undergraduate analysis of the beads and beadwork, and see the work through to completion. Her other research interests center on Egyptian epigraphy and palaeography and the recognition of the contributions of scholars of African descent to the history of Egyptology as a discipline.